I-407 Abandonment of Permanent Resident Card/Green Card

If you no longer wish to reside in the United States, or if you are otherwise subject to loss of permanent resident status, you must formally abandon your status by completing Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status.

There are eight spaces for your A-number. If your A-number is only seven digits, place a zero (0) as the first digit.

If the lawful permanent resident is under 18 years old, the minor’s parents, custodial parents or legal guardians must sign and consent to submitting Form I-407.

If there is only one legal parent, that parent can sign Form I-407. However, that parent must submit proof:

  1. Of having sole legal custody; or,
  2. Showing that any other parent has either died or had his or her parental rights legally terminated.

A guardian must submit documentation showing that the guardian has legal custody or other authority to sign for the minor.

The Department of Homeland Security is required to provide the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with the names of individuals who choose to abandon their LPR status. If you file this form with us, we will provide only your name and the filing date to the IRS. (Internal Revenue Code section 6039G(d)(3))

Mail Form I-407 to the nearest USCIS international field office. You may also submit Form I-407 to a Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entryIf you submit Form I-407 on paper: Be sure to sign the form at Part 1, Item Number 13.a., Signature of Alien. The fillable version of Form I-407 now includes “Don’t forget to sign!” messages and an arrow pointing to the signature box as reminders for when you print the completed form for mailing. USCIS rejects any unsigned Form I-407. Having to return it to you for a signature will delay processing of your request.

There is no filing fee.