Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas to the United States are processed for citizens and residents of Slovakia at the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava.

To apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen seeking to immigrate generally must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident immediate relative(s), or prospective U.S. employer, and have an approved petition before applying for an immigrant visa. The sponsor begins the process by filing a petition on the foreign citizen’s behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  You may wish to review our Directory of Visa Categories on to learn about the different types of immigrant visas to the United States, including our Diversity Visa Program.  Then, follow the steps on the Immigrant Visa Process, or on the Diversity Visa Process, on to begin applying for an immigrant visa.

Once USCIS has approved your petition and you have completed pre-processing with the National Visa Center (NVC), or if you have been selected in the Diversity Visa Lottery and completed processing with the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC), review the instructions given to you by the NVC or the KCC, along with the information presented on this website, for further guidance and instructions.

Immigrant Visas

Be aware that some unscrupulous people regularly attempt to scam innocent victims by promising quick “green cards” or U.S. visas. Please note that it is not possible simply to “buy” a green card or U.S. visa. All applicants must go through the application process. The forms are free and the fees are those officially posted on official U.S. websites (such as or

Although you may hire an attorney or other person to assist you with the application process, it is not required that you do so. If you suspect someone is trying to scam you by claiming that you must hire them in order to get a visa, or by alleging they can procure a U.S. visa or green card without the normal processing, please alert the consulate at

Appointments are available by e-mail on or by phone at: 02 / 5443 0861 Tuesday through Thursday from 9.00-12.00am, 02.00-04.00pm only.

Applicants without confirmed appointments will not be admitted to the Consular Section.

If you need to travel and are unable to do so because your green card was lost or stolen please review instructions here to decide whether you would like to file form I-131A to apply for a boarding foil. Please be advised that if you plan to file a Form I-131A to apply for a LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website before appearing in person at a consular section. Information on the new form and fee is located here. You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A. As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.

To apply, please request an appointment by sending an email to; please ensure that the words “Form I-131A Appointment Request” appear in the subject line of your email. You will need to ensure that you have completed all instructions required by USCIS prior to requesting your appointment.

Expired Permanent Resident Cards – If you have an expired permanent resident card with a 10-year validity period, you do not need a transportation letter/boarding foil. The airline may board you with the expired card, providing you meet all their other conditions for travel.

You may find additional information on and instructions for the I-131A here.

Prior to visa approval, each applicant for an immigrant visa must undergo a medical examination by an approved physician. Visa applicants are responsible for arranging an examination before their scheduled visa interviews.

The approved panel physician for Slovakia is only:

Lubica Capova, M.D.
Faculty Hospital – Podunajske Biskupice, Pavilon K
Krajinska 91
825 56 Bratislava
Phone: 0918 379 623

Please make an appointment by phone. Each applicant must bring his/her passport, two photos, any relevant medical history from his/her general practitioner, and a vaccination record to the appointment.

The required medical exam for Immigrant Visas consists of a chest X-ray, blood tests, and an overall assessment of your physical and psychical condition. Children up to 15 years of age are not required to undergo chest X-ray or blood tests. Pregnant women also are not required to undergo X-rays. All fees for the medical examination are paid by the applicant.

The Consul will review your medical results and determine whether you are qualified for an Immigrant Visa under U.S. law. If you are not, the Consul will explain exactly why and advise you how to proceed.

Medical exam results are valid only for 6 months and must be valid on the date of entry to the USA.

In case you can not pick up your passport, we can send it to you by mail with all your documents.

In this case, please bring a self-addressed envelope for insured letters ( poistený list, available at Slovak post offices). The envelope must be for weight up to 2 kilograms, insured up to 332 EUR, and you need to provide stamps of 3,29 EUR value.

The envelope should be large enough, to accomodate all your documents and passport. Your documents will be in separate sealed envelope from your passport and visa. This envelope will be opened by the Immigrant Officer at the port of entry in the U.S.. Do not open it yourself. Pack it with your passport in your hand baggage.

Everyone who is immigrating to the United States must be present at the interview. We cannot issue a visa to anyone not physically present for a personal interview.

Please show your appointment letter and passport or ID card to the guards at the access gate to the Embassy on Hviezdoslavovo namestie. You will need to be screened by security: please note that you may not bring in large bags, laptops, cell phones, music players, food, or drink into the Embassy. When you have been cleared, the guards will show you the way to the waiting room.

Let the Receptionist know your name and the reason for your visit and wait in the waiting room. An assistant from the IV Unit will call you to collect your documents and for payment.

Once your case has been prepared for interview, you will be called by name over the loudspeaker and interviewed by a Consular officer at a visa window. The interview can last only a few minutes or over an hour; each case is different.

If you are missing something, you will be given a letter and asked to come back with it in a few weeks. If your case is complete, you will be told whether or not you qualified for the visa.

Getting Your Visa

If your visa is approved and you don’t want to pick it up personally, a visa packet will be sent to you in the insured envelope . The visa packet will contain the following two items:

  • The Immigrant Visa, which is a small foil stuck into your passport;
  • A sealed envelope containing documents you gave at your interview. Do not open this envelope and pack it only into a cabin baggage. It will be opened by the immigration officer when you arrive in the U.S.

The visa packet is your permission to apply for entry into the United States as a lawful permanent resident (LPR). The visa itself is valid 6 months from the date printed, so you must enter the U.S. before it expires.

Port of Entry

You must give the U.S. Immigration officer at the border your passport with visa and the sealed envelope when you arrive in America. This officer will put an entry stamp in your passport documenting your admission as an LPR. With this stamp, you may begin to work, study, and live in the United States. The visa and stamp are your proof of legal status in the U.S.

Normally, your plastic Permanent Residence card (“green card”) will be mailed to your U.S. address within a year from your arrival. If you do not receive it within the first year, contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. From your arrival in the U.S., USCIS becomes responsible for your immigration process, not the Embassy.

If you no longer wish to reside in the United States, or if you are otherwise subject to loss of permanent resident status, you must formally abandon your status by completing Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status.

There are eight spaces for your A-number. If your A-number is only seven digits, place a zero (0) as the first digit.

If the lawful permanent resident is under 18 years old, the minor’s parents, custodial parents or legal guardians must sign and consent to submitting Form I-407.

If there is only one legal parent, that parent can sign Form I-407. However, that parent must submit proof:

  1. Of having sole legal custody; or,
  2. Showing that any other parent has either died or had his or her parental rights legally terminated.

A guardian must submit documentation showing that the guardian has legal custody or other authority to sign for the minor.

The Department of Homeland Security is required to provide the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with the names of individuals who choose to abandon their LPR status. If you file this form with us, we will provide only your name and the filing date to the IRS. (Internal Revenue Code section 6039G(d)(3))

Mail Form I-407 to the nearest USCIS international field office. You may also submit Form I-407 to a Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entryIf you submit Form I-407 on paper: Be sure to sign the form at Part 1, Item Number 13.a., Signature of Alien. The fillable version of Form I-407 now includes “Don’t forget to sign!” messages and an arrow pointing to the signature box as reminders for when you print the completed form for mailing. USCIS rejects any unsigned Form I-407. Having to return it to you for a signature will delay processing of your request.

There is no filing fee.