A demonstration is planned on Saturday, December 16, 2017 from 3:00 – 6:00 pm at the intersection of Boltzmanngasse and Strudelhofgasse (near the U.S. Embassy). All non-essential U.S. Government personnel have been instructed to avoid this area during the demonstration. This demonstration will take place outside of normal embassy operating hours. The U.S. Embassy also notes that similar demonstrations are planned for Salzburg on December 16 at 2:00 pm at the Main Train Station (Suedtirolerplatz), in Linz on December 16 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm at Schillerpark 1, and may occur in other Austrian cities in the upcoming days.
Please follow our messages, media reports and the instructions of local authorities as necessary.
Please note that disruptions to pedestrian and vehicular traffic and tram service in the area are possible. Plan accordingly.
As always, remember to take personal security precautions to include being aware of your surroundings and avoiding large gatherings.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Europe Travel Alert, and Austria Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Vienna, located at Boltzmanngasse 16
1090 , Vienna, at (+43-1) 31339-0, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+43) 31339-0.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook