Victims of Crime

An American Citizen who is the victim of a crime in Slovakia should:

Contact local police (PDF 345 KB) (in an emergency, dial “112”) to report the incident and obtain immediate help with safety concerns. The police will arrange for an interpreter, medical examination and social help if needed.

The police will normally hand victims an information sheet in Slovak.

Contact the consular section of the U.S. embassy for assistance. The consular section can be reached during working hours at +421-2-5443-0861. (In emergency circumstances, the Duty Officer can be reached after hours and on weekends by calling 0903-703-666.)

Consular personnel are familiar with local government agencies and resources in Slovakia. They can help American crime victims with issues such as:

  • Contacting family, friends, or employers;
  • Obtaining appropriate medical care;
  • Addressing emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime;
  • Obtaining general information about the local criminal justice process and information about your case;
  • Obtaining information about local resources to assist victims, including foreign crime victim compensation programs;
  • Obtaining information about crime victim assistance and compensation programs in the U.S.;
  • Obtaining a list of local attorneys who speak English;
  • Reporting stolen credit cards and other documents;
  • Changing travel tickets or reservations; and
  • Replacing a stolen passport, usually within one working day;

Consular officials cannot, however, investigate crimes, provide legal advice or represent you in court, serve as official interpreters or translators, or pay legal, medical, or other fees for you.

Help for Victims of Crime Overseas and Contact Information for Victim Compensation and Assistance Programs

Child Victim Resources


Location: Grosslingova 6, Bratislava
Mailing Address: P.O.BOX 52, 810 00 Bratislava
Telephone: 02 / 5296 5084, 5296 1930
Fax: 02 / 5296 5084
24 hour toll free number in case of crisis/emergency : 0800-112 112 (Crisis Centre, social and legal help).