Renewal of an Existing Passport

Passport renewal By Mail

NOTE: If your current passport was issued before you were 16 years of age or if it was issued more than 15 years ago, you must follow the instructions for an Adult’s Passport – First Time (for U.S. Citizens aged 16 and older) or Replacement for a Lost/Stolen Passport.

If your passport expires soon or has already expired, the Embassy recommends that you apply for a new passport as soon as possible.  While processing time for applications received at the U.S. Embassy Bratislava is significantly shorter than in the U.S., we cannot guarantee the time in which your passport will be returned.  It is important to plan accordingly prior to travel. Additionally, all U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad should have valid proof of citizenship.

Online Fee Payments

U.S. Embassy Bratislava is now accepting online fee payments for adult U.S. passport renewal applications.  Paying online allows you to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy without the need to apply in person.  Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal.  Please note that the online fee option is limited to U.S. citizens residing in the Slovak Republic.  Online fee payment is currently available for adult passport book renewals only.

Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals

To use the online payment system, you must answer YES to ALL of the following: 

  • I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
  • I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport book was issued; I am not applying for my first adult passport;
  • I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
  • My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
  • My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application;) and
  • I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in the Slovak Republic.


For DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment – for U.S. citizens residing in the Slovak Republic:


Step 1:  SIGN and complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form.  Type or print clearly in
black ink.

*NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number if you have been issued one.  If you
do not have a Social Security number, please click here.


Step 2:  Obtain a 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) color passport photo on a WHITE background. The
photo must have been taken within the past 6 months. No eyeglasses should be worn in
the photo.  See more information on photo requirements.

Step 3:  Include one photocopy (color or black and white) of the data page of your
previous U.S. passport.

Step 4:  Include the passport you are renewing in the package you mail to the Embassy.

Step 5:  Name change documents (if applicable) (original + 1 photocopy)

If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce, or
court order, please include proof of your name change.  Documents must be original
with English translation if applicable
(ex. Marriage certificate, Divorce Decree, Court

Step 6:  Pay the $130 passport application fee via the – Overseas U.S. Adult Passport Renewal Fee payment site.  After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to the embassy.

Step 7:  Mail your passport renewal package for processing following these instructions:

  • Use the special enveloper called OBALKA NA POISTENY LIST available at Slovak post offices. Purchase 2 of these envelopes with 1 to be used for returning your passport.
  • Insert your complete passport renewal package into the OBALKA NA POISTENY LIST envelope:
    • DS-82 completed and signed
    • your current passport plus one plain photocopy of the bio page of that passport
    • printed electronic payment confirmation received via e-mail from
    • one recent photograph sized 5×5 cm (2” x 2”) with a white background and NO glasses
    • one return envelope (OBALKA NA POISTENY LIST) and postage stamps in the value 3,30 EUR
  • Mail your package from a post office to:

U.S. Embassy
Consular Section
Hviezdoslavovo nam. 4
811 02 Bratislava


If you do not meet the criteria, or if you wish to renew or apply for a passport card, you must make an appointment to apply in person. Also, if you are not resident in Slovakia, please use the following instructions for filing the application and making the payment at the U.S. Embassy Bratislava in person:

Applications for renewal of an adult’s U.S. passport are accepted at Embassy Bratislava in person (for filing in person please make an appointment online). The following documents/items must be presented to the ACS Unit:

  • Your current or recently expired U.S. passport – original plus one copy of bio page
  • Social Security number card of the applicant (passport application without social security number is unacceptable and will be returned). If you never had a SSN issued to you, please use the Declaration. 
  • One photo – U.S. Passport Photo Requirements
  • The passport renewal fee. It can be paid at the ACS Unit in U.S. dollars or equivalent in EUR, or by major credit card
  • A completed and signed DS-82 Application Form
  • If your name has changed, such as due to marriage or divorce, you must bring appropriate documentation of the change – original plus one copy
  • If all conditions are met you can use DS-82 (disregard the mailing instructions on the application as they apply in the United States) if you apply in person/overseas 

All passports are now being delivered by mail only.  Please bring to the Embassy at your appointment:


One envelope for insured letter (Obalka na POISTENY LIST ) and postal stamps in value of 3,30 EUR – available at post offices