U.S. passports can no longer be amended to change or correct critical data, such as names, birth dates, or expiration dates. You will need to apply for a replacement passport.
For CRBA and first-time passport applications, the name of the applicant should match their birth document(s). Material changes to the applicant’s name must be supported by an amended document or other name change evidence. An affidavit from the parents is not sufficient to establish a material name change. In general, there are only exceptions when obtaining an amended birth certificate would present substantial hardship, or if a local vital records offices will not amend a birth certificate. Please contact ConsulBratislava@state.gov with questions.
Correct a data or printing error on your passport:
- To request a name change on your passport within one year from the date of issuance of your current passport at no charge:
Please submit the following by mail:
- Form DS-5504
- Your most recent U.S. passport
- Your original or certified name change document, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order
- One color passport photo
- If you request the name change on a passport issued more than 1 year ago, please follow the instruction at:
- To request a correction of data or printing error within 1 year of the issuance of your current passport:
A passport issued with a data error (e.g., name, sex, or place of birth) or printing error (e.g., data is missing on the biographical page, discoloration, crooked printing, etc.) can be corrected at no charge if the passport is still valid.
To correct a data or printing error:
- Complete Form DS-5504.
- Submit form by mail with your passport, one color photo, and evidence of the error (e.g. your U.S. birth certificate showing the correct spelling of your last name).
- You will not have to submit any fees.
The validity of the new, corrected passport depends on when you report the error.
- If you request correction on a passport issued more than 1 year ago, please follow the instruction at:
For delivery of your passport/visa/ by mail, please bring
One envelope for insured letter (Obalka na POISTENY LIST ) and postal stamps in value of 3,30 EUR – available at post offices