Marriage in Slovakia

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Marriage Of American Citizens In Slovakia

Marriage of American citizens in Slovakia must be contracted before the Slovak authorities in accordance with the Slovak law. The American Consul is not authorized to perform wedding ceremonies. A marriage which is legal under the laws of the country where it occurs is generally accepted as valid in the United States as long as it is not in violation of U.S. law.

The information furnished below is only a general guidance for American citizens, as the interpretation of the Slovak laws and regulations does not fall within the competence of the American Embassy. American citizens desiring to contract marriage in Slovakia may wish to contact the Slovak Embassy (3523 International Court, NW, Suite 250, Washington, D.C., 20008, tel: 202-237-1054,, or the Slovak Marriage Registrar’s Office (“Matrika”) in the locality where they intend to contract marriage.

An American citizen must establish to the satisfaction of the Slovak authorities that he/she is free to marry under the laws of the State of his residence in the United States. Slovak authorities generally accept a Marriage Affidavit signed in the presence of a U.S. Consul as evidence in this regard. Further details on notarial services at the Embassy in Bratislava.

The following documents are generally required by the Slovak law in order for an American citizen to obtain a marriage license from a Slovak Matrika:

  • Documentation regarding eligibility to marry (i.e.: the Marriage Affidavit and, if previously married, documentation about termination of any previous marriage – such as a divorce decree or death certificate, duly legalized for use in Slovakia)
  • Birth Certificate which (1) contains the names, dates and places of births of the parents and (2) has been legalized for use in Slovakia
  • U.S. passport

Immigration To The United States Of A New Spouse

A foreign citizen does not acquire United States citizenship through marriage to an American citizen. He/She must obtain an immigrant visa to be able to reside in the United States. Once he/she enters the U.S. as an immigrant, he/she will become a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States (i.e. a “green card’ holder) and legally able to live or work there permanently. A Legal Permanent Resident can then choose to apply for naturalization in order to become a citizen of the U.S., although he/she must first fulfill certain requirements. More information.

A U.S. citizen begins the immigration process of his/her non-citizen spouse by filing an I-130 Petition with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once the petition has been approved, USCIS will forward it to the embassy or consulate that processes immigrant visas for the region where the spouse resides. More information.