Eligibility for a CRBA

The birth of a child in Slovakia to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the U.S. consular section for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America, Form FS-240, abbreviated as “CRBA”. For CRBA and first-time passport applications, the name of the applicant should match their birth document(s). Material changes to the applicant’s name must be supported by an amended document or other name change evidence. An affidavit from the parents is not sufficient to establish a material name change. In general, there are only exceptions when obtaining an amended birth certificate would present substantial hardship, or if a local vital records offices will not amend a birth certificate. Please contact ConsulBratislava@state.gov with questions.

Please note: this provision of law requires a “blood relationship” of parent and child — the child must be the biological child of the U.S. citizen parent. Adopted children and step-children of U.S. citizens also have possibilities for U.S. Parents of such children should contact the consular section for information specific to their situation.

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) can be prepared only at the U.S. consular office in the country/region where the child was born and can only be done while the child is under the age of 18. In order to establish the child’s citizenship under the appropriate provisions of U.S. law, the following documents must be submitted:

  • The child’s local birth certificate – original plus one copy
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship of the child’s U.S. citizen parent(s) – originals plus one copy of each document
  • Photo I.D. of parents (such as a U.S. or foreign passport) – originals plus one copy of each document
  • Parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable – original plus one copy
  • Document about termination of any/all previous marriages of either parent, if applicable (divorce decree, death certificate, etc.) – original plus one copy
  • Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts, tax returns, and employment records. Please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances.
  • A U.S. citizen father, if he is not present in Slovakia at the time of filing the application for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, must provide a notarized statement on this form: Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support (PDF 165 KB) and evidence that he lived in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to his child.
  • Application for a CRBA Form DS-2029 (PDF 56 KB)
  • Fee of 100 USD or equivalent in EUR
  • Declaration (PDF, 144 KB) that the child has never been issued a Social Security number

To apply for a CRBA, the U.S. citizen parent (or one of two U.S. citizen parents) and the child must be present at the Embassy. Please schedule an appointment.

If the application for U.S. passport is filed at the same time, both parents and a child must be present. Please see Passports for Children. An Application for a U.S. Social Security Number SS-5 (PDF163 KB) can no longer be filed along with the application for CRBA. For this service, please contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy Warsaw.

If you cannot download the forms contact the Consular section at consulbratislava@state.gov and forms will be mailed to you.