U.S. Embassy Bratislava informs U.S. citizens residing in Slovakia that demonstrations have been scheduled in Bratislava for Thursday, September 22 and Friday, September 23, starting at 9:00 a.m. and lasting until 7:00 p.m., both days at Hviezdoslav Square (Hviezdoslavovo Námestie), near the Slovak National Theater. The reported purpose of the gathering is to protest the signing of business agreements among EU, Canada and the United States, and 300 participants are expected to attend.
Weremind you that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstration areas and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, orprotests.
We recommend you review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Slovakia’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo Namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.