U.S. Embassy Bratislava informs U.S. citizens residing in Slovakia that demonstrations have been scheduled in Bratislava for Saturday, June 25, starting at 3:00 p.m. A movement known as “The Alternative Way” has planned a march from the main train station, Hlavna Stanica, to Namestie Slobody (Freedom Square). The group is expected to congregate in Namestie Slobody until 5:00 p.m. on June 25 (though times and routes may change) for an event titled “Stop the Dissolution of Europe.” Based on social media interest, at least 1,200 participants or more are expected to participate in this event. A similar march last year attracted up to 5,000 participants, and violence following the event, including attacks on bystanders, resulted in approximately 140 arrests.
A counter-protest by an anti-fascist group is planned from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at SNP Square (Namestie Slovenskeho narodneho povstania) and could attract a similar number of participants.
We remind you that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstration areas and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; monitor local news stations for updates; and report specific incidences of targeted violence to the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava at the number below. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Slovakia’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.