Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Event: An angry crowd of several hundred people has formed outside the Parliament, protesting against government measures related to Covid, and demanding the government step down. The atmosphere is hostile with protesters throwing eggs and ketchup at the heavily armed police. According to press reports tear gas has been used and at least one police officer has been injured. Several opposition members of parliament have come out to support the protesters.
While the demonstrations are directed at the Government of Slovakia, there is potential for impact on the Embassy community. All Chief of Mission personnel are advised to avoid the Parliament Building as well as major Slovak government buildings. The Regional Security Office is working closely with Slovak law enforcement and security partners to gather additional information regarding this event.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
· Keep a low profile pay attention to your surroundings.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
· To reach Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C., call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Visit the wepage of the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava