Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Event: A large demonstration is expected to occur tomorrow, December 12, between 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., in the area of Old Town. Members of the SNS and LSNS political parties and hooligan groups are expected to attend. These groups participated in protests October 17 and November 17 which involved several thousand demonstrators, some clashing with police. Like the previous protests, tomorrow’s protest is in violation of the Slovak government’s COVID-19 restrictions and does not have government approval. Clashes with police are possible.
Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following neighborhoods in Bratislava, Slovakia:
- Presidential Palace – Hodzovo Square
- Parliament – Alexandra Dubceka Square
- Government’s Office – Slobody Square
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates: Slovak Spectator is a local English language newspaper; Radio RSI is a radio station with some English
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at 02/544 308 61, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +421-903-703-666.
- To reach Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C., call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Visit the webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook