Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Event: The U.S. Embassy is tracking the potential for demonstrations from March 19-21. While the demonstrations are expected to be directed at the Slovak government and are not anti-U.S. in nature, given the current government crisis and past protests, there is potential for impact on the Embassy community. The protests are in violation of the Slovak Government’s COVID-19 restrictions and do not have government approval. Recent similar unauthorized protests involved several thousand demonstrators, including members of the SNS and LSNS political parties and hooligan groups, and have led to violent clashes with police.
The U.S. Embassy does not yet have an estimate on the number of demonstrators or the potential for violence, but clashes with police are possible. It is working with Slovak law enforcement and security partners to gather additional information.
Announced primary gathering points:
– Namestie Slobody: Friday, March 19, starting at 14:00
– National Council: Saturday, March 20, starting at 14:00
– Namestie Slobody: Sunday, March 21, starting at 14:00
Demonstrators will likely be present in and around other areas of Bratislava, including, but not limited to, the neighborhoods near:
– Old Town
– Presidential Palace/Hodzovo Square
– Parliament/Alexandra Dubceka Square
– Namestie Slobody
– Prime Minister’s Office
– All Slovak government office buildings
– U.S. Embassy
– Bratislava Castle
Actions to Take:
– Avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
– Remain proactive and pay attention to your surroundings.
– Ensure personal and work mobile devices are charged, powered on.
– Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at 02/544 308 61, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +421-903-703-666.
– To reach Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C., call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
– Visit the webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava