Large Ongoing Protests in Bratislava
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Event: About 3,000 demonstrators are currently blocking streets and major throughfares around central Bratislava in an unannounced protest against Covid-19 restrictions. While the demonstrations are currently peaceful and are directed at the government of Slovakia, there is potential for impact on the community. Slovak police are present and are closely monitoring the protest. Several public transport lines are out of service until further notice, including 83, 84, 93, 147, 203, 207, 212. The Regional Security Office is working closely with Slovak law enforcement and security partners to gather additional information regarding these events.
Location: Presidential Palace and surrounding area. Protestors are blocking some streets, including the major thoroughfares coming from of Hodzovo Namestie. The SNP bridge is also blocked.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile pay attention to your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates: Slovak Spectatoris a local English language newspaper; Radio RSI is a radio station with some English.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- To reach Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C., call 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Visit the wepage of the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook