Subject: Large Protests Scheduled for Thursday and Friday in Bratislava
Location: Presidential Palace, Hodzovo Namestie, and surrounding area, Bratislava, Slovakia
Event: Demonstrations to protest the Slovak government’s Covid-19 restrictions are scheduled in Bratislava this coming Thursday, August 5th and Friday August 6th, from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm. Police estimate 1,000 to 3,000 participants. Other organizations could participate to promote their own agendas. Any peaceful demonstration could become violent. Clashes with police, road blockages, and other interruptions may occur.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile pay attention to your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates: Slovak Spectator is a local English language newspaper; Radio RSI is a radio station with some English.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- To reach Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C., call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Visit the webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook