Last updated: May 18, 2022
On April 21, 2022, President Biden announced Uniting for Ukraine, a new streamlined process to provide Ukrainian citizens who have fled Russia’s unprovoked war of aggression opportunities to come to the United States. U.S. embassies abroad do not administer this program. For information and application instructions, please visit: https://www.dhs.gov/ukraine. For information about standard nonimmigrant and immigrant visas for Ukrainians, please visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/information-for-nationals-of-Ukraine.html
COVID-19 Border Restrictions at the External (non-Schengen) Border
As of April 6, 2022, all COVID-19 border restrictions are lifted for entry to Slovakia.
For more information about COVID-19 in Slovakia, please visit:
- COVID-19 info page of the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava
- COVID-19 info page of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in Slovakia
Entering the European Union/Schengen Zone Through Slovakia
U.S. citizens can enter Slovakia as tourists without a visa for up to 90 days.
EU regulations apply for pets and EU customs regulations apply for goods.
- Pets: The maximum number of pets that a traveler may bring into the EU is five. The EU has strict requirements regarding the importation of pets, including the timing of rabies vaccination and the implanting of an EU-compatible microchip.
- European Union information on importing pets
- Authorized ports of entry to the European Union
- Some travelers have found this website helpful: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/travel-guide/travelling-to-europe-with-pets/
- Goods:If travelers bring household goods into the EU, customs officials at the border may assume they are making a permanent move and require travelers to comply with customs regulations.
Slovakia-Ukraine Land Border Crossings
There are five land border crossing points. U.S. citizens should plan to use one of the first tww listed:
- Vysne Nemecke/Uzgorod: Main road boarding crossing– This crossing is located in Uzgorod where H13 crosses into Slovakia from Ukraine. Coordinates – 48° 39′ 12.96″ N, 22° 15′ 57.96″ E
- Ubl’a/Malyi Bereznyi: Main road boarding crossing – This crossing is located 3.1km from Malyi Bereznyi where P53 crosses into Slovakia from Ukraine. Coordinates – 48°53’1.57″N, 22°25’14.12″E
- Vel’ke Slemence/Mali Selmenci: Bicyclists and pedestrians with Ukrainian and/or EU passports (U.S. citizen crossings not currently authorized).
- Cierna nad Tisou/Cop): Passenger trains (no car or pedestrian crossings currently authorized)
- Mat’ovske Vojkovce/Pavlovo: Cargo trains (no private crossings currently authorized)
Current wait times to enter Slovakia at the border for the two road checkpoints and the bike/pedestrian path are available at https://www.financnasprava.sk/sk/infoservis/hranicne-priechody.
Airports in Slovakia are small and do not offer any connecting flights to the U.S. Travelers in Slovakia flying to the U.S. generally board their first flight in Vienna, Budapest, or Prague. Neighboring countries may have different rules on COVID-19 vaccination, testing, and quarantine requirements. Please see their U.S. Embassy websites for information about pandemic transit rules. Austria allows entry from Slovakia without testing, registration, quarantine, or vaccinated for anyone who is transiting directly to the airport in Vienna without stopover.
Contact Information for U.S. Citizens in Slovakia
E-mail (for fastest response): firstname.lastname@example.org
Embassy operator during business hours, M-F 08:00 to 16:30 (Central European Time): +421-2-5443-0861
Embassy Duty Officer (in case of serious emergency during non-business hours): +421-903-703-666
Entering the Unites States After Departing Ukraine
As of May 1, 2022, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is cancelling the COVID testing waiver for U.S. citizens and accompanying family members departing from Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia. Travelers from these countries should follow all regular COVID-19 testing requirements for entry to the U.S.