Event: On March 17, 2020 the Slovak Ministry of Health announced 73 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Slovak Republic.
The CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Slovakia.
On Monday, March 16, 2020, Austrian Airlines announced the final direct flight to the United States from Vienna’s Schwechat Airport would take place on Wednesday evening, March 18. This will be the last scheduled direct flight from Vienna Airport to the United States until normal travel resumes at an undetermined time in the future.
The neighboring countries of Ukraine, Hungary, Czech Republic, and Poland have shut their borders until further notice. As of 12:00 PM March 17, 20202, the only way to leave Slovakia is by private car or on foot through the Austrian border. Travelers have been able to leave by taking a local taxi to the border near Hainburg, Austria, crossing the border by foot, and then finding transportation in Austria. It is possible that Austria will close its border soon.
Additionally, though not mandated, many hotels are expelling current guests and closing until further notice. Finding accommodations in Slovakia is growing increasingly challenging. It is recommended that all American citizens without reliable housing strongly consider leaving Slovakia while still possible. All Americans need to prepare to shelter in place until such a time as Slovak health authorities see fit to lift precautionary measures, and neighboring countries re-open their borders.
The government of Slovakia has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. As reported on the Slovak Public Health Administration website (Slovak Only), Slovakia has closed its borders to all non-Slovak citizens or residents until further notice. Anyone entering Slovakia must undergo 14 days of self-quarantine. Slovakia has closed its international airports. All international trains, busses, and boats are likewise suspended until further notice.
A full list of up to date guidance on the latest precautionary health measures can be found at the Slovak Public Health Administration (SPHA) Slovak language website and English language website (not often updated) and the U.S. Embassy website (English summary of SPHA updates) .
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Slovakia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Visit the Embassy webpage.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook