Location: There are demonstrations planned in multiple cities across Slovakia. The demonstrations expected to attract the largest number of participants will be in Kosice at Hlavne Namestie and in Bratislava, where there is a scheduled march from Šafárikovo námestie to námestie SNP.
Event: Demonstrations are planned around Slovakia on Friday, March 23, 2018, beginning at 16:30 to 17:30 to protest against the government following the murder of investigative journalist Ján Kuciak and his fiancée Martina Kušnírová. A demonstration expected to number in the thousands is planned to take place at Hlavne Namestie in Kosice and there is a planned protest march in Bratislava of tens of thousands from Šafárikovo námestie ending at námestie SNP.
Roads in the area around Bratislava’s námestie SNP will be closed and public transportation will also stop during the planned time of the protests.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the downtown Bratislava and Kosice areas
- Avoid demonstrations
- Avoid crowds
- Monitor local news for developments
- Be aware of your surroundings
For further information:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Visit the Embassy webpage.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.