Location: There are demonstrations planned again in over forty Slovak towns and cities. The demonstrations expected to attract the largest number of participants will be in Bratislava at Namestie SNP and Kosice at Hlavne Namestie.
Event: Demonstrations are planned around Slovakia on Friday, March 16, 2018, beginning from 17:00 to 18:30 to protest against the government following the murder of investigative journalist Ján Kuciak and his fiancee Martina Kušnírová. A demonstration of more than thirty thousand is expected to take place at Namestie SNP in Bratislava with another large protest scheduled for Hlavne Namestie in Kosice.
Roads in the area around Bratislava’s Namestie SNP will be closed and public transportation will also stop during the planned time of the protests.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the downtown Bratislava and Kosice areas
- Avoid demonstrations
- Avoid crowds
- Monitor local news for developments
- Be aware of your surroundings
For further information:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Visit the Embassy webpage.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.