Subject: Notice for U.S. Citizens: Scheduled Protest in SNP Square
Location: SNP Square
Time: Tuesday, December 19, from 18:00 to TBD
Event: The U.S. Embassy would like to advise the community of a protest scheduled for Tuesday, December 19th. Various opposition political parties have called on people to protest against the proposed abolishment of the Special Prosecutor’s Office. Slovak police expect that numbers could reach into the thousands and there is a chance of road closures and traffic disruptions. U.S. Citizens are advised to avoid this area and plan accordingly.
Actions to Take:
- Be cautious of your surroundings and practice situational awareness at all times;
- Stay aware of spontaneous counter-protests;
- If altercations or violence occurs, remove yourself and any family/group members from the area immediately to a safe location (police officer, known public area, etc.);
- Set a predetermined time and location to meet with friends and family should you become separated.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at 02/544 308 61, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +421-903-703-666.
- To reach Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C., call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Visit the webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook